art & craftfamily event
‘Tis the season to be jolly! Decorate your own festive window and 'Light up December' for each day of Advent. You can take part on your own, ask a few friends to join in too, or even invite your whole village or street to create advent windows for everyone to enjoy and raise vital funds to help local terminally ill children.
How to get involved
If you’re doing your Advent window on your own, plan your display and source your materials. To create a group Advent calendar, ask your friends, neighbours and local groups to get involved and allocate a date to everyone.
Decide how to fundraise, e.g. create a JustGiving page, set up a Facebook fundraiser or have a collection tin. Tell people about your ‘Light up December’ on your local noticeboard and community Facebook page.
From the 1st December, post a photo of each new window on your community social media pages, JustGiving page or Facebook fundraiser and remind people how to donate.
Tip: Use #HDHAdvent* in your social media posts and tag us so we can enjoy your festive windows too! *When sharing on Facebook set your privacy to ‘public’ so we can see your festive windows.
- Find at least 24 people who want to do a window display - you could also ask local groups e.g. book club or toddler group, schools, businesses and churches.
- Allocate a date to each window and if you have more than one window per day, spread them out across the community.
- Let everyone know when each window will be ‘opened’.
- Promote your Light Up December via social media, village newsletter, noticeboard and community website.
- Consider having a theme for your windows e.g. Christmas carols or films.
- Ask everyone to put something in their window for people to spot when they are doing the window trail.
- Ask people around to one of the houses with advent windows and serve some festive mulled wine as part of a window trail.
- Use our #HDHAdvent hashtag on your social media posts and tag us so we can see your wonderful windows.
How to fundraise for Advent Windows
- Set up your own JustGiving page.
- Create a Facebook fundraiser.
- Invite your friends’ around for a glass of mulled wine to admire your festive window.
- Use our collection tins – contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have tried to think of everything that you need to know to create your own wonderful windows and start fundraising, but please let us know if you have any questions, email@example.com. We love a phone chat or virtual coffee Zoom meeting!
‘It felt like a miracle as we got everything we wanted for Christmas. Roman and his twin, Harley celebrated together and opened presents. Roman even sat in his highchair for Christmas dinner, the only time he did as he was usually too weak to hold himself up. We had the perfect Christmas day.‘ Roman’s Mum, Ellie.
In January 2020 Roman died peacefully at home surrounded by his family, which is when our bereavement support team provided his family with a lifeline of support. Please help us make a difference this Christmas so we can continue to support our children and families when, and where, they need us.
How your donations will help
could help pay towards the PPE equipment needed for one of our nurses to care for a child at the hospice.
could help pay for a one hour visit at home for a child in need of emergency lifeline of care from our specialist nurse.
could help pay for around five emergency consultations at the hospice with our paediatric palliative care doctor