Our Assistant Shop Manager will work with the team to maximise the shop’s sales and profits and be an ambassador for Helen & Douglas House, supporting and endorsing the aims and objectives of the charity.
Vacancy Type: Permanent, part-time
Working Hours: 22.5 hours per week (includes weekend working)
Salary: Range B (£18,000 – £20,000) pro-rata, per year depending on experience
Location: Helen & Douglas House, 3 Upper High Street, Thame, Oxfordshire, OX9 3ER
Closing Date: Midnight on Sunday 15th December 2019
View the full job description
We are looking for an Assistant Shop Manager who is friendly and approachable, to assist the Shop Manager in the day to day operation and performance of the shop, while supporting the Shop Manager in meeting targets through excellent customer service, effective planning, good merchandising and stock control, housekeeping, furniture operation and volunteer cover.
With Helen & Douglas House outlet, you will be helping to run your own retail unit, making decisions over how you promote the goods, your shop layout and what is in your window display. You will also have responsibility for recruiting and effectively managing the team of volunteers that support the shop and make life in our shops diverse and dynamic. The role will require you to work regular weekends – Saturdays and Sundays.
Helen & Douglas House, the world’s first children’s hospice and based in Oxford, has a network of almost 29 retail outlets across the extended local area. These shops are central to our multi-million-pound fundraising programme and you could become a key part in making a real difference to the lives of children and their wider families.
Who we are looking for:
Our Assistant Shop Managers hit the ground running in this busy, people-focused role in an outlet that is open seven days a week, The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to GCSE level (or equivalent) with passes in English and Maths.
- Experience in a customer-facing environment and the ability to deliver excellent customer service.
- Experience of developing and implementing plans to maximise sales potential.
- Strong organisational and administration skills.
- Computer literate.
- Experience of managing staff teams effectively in a variety of retail sectors and/or management experience within a Charity Shop would be an advantage.
- You will need a flexible approach to working hours and days including working Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays as appropriate and when required.
We are also able to offer the opportunity to enrol in a pension scheme and offer a generous annual leave allocation.
Please note that this role will involve lifting/moving furniture on a regular basis.
Your normal working pattern will change each week, subject to the needs of the business and the levels of staff and volunteers available to work, and will involve a significant element of weekend working.
Interested? Please note:
- We are unable to accept applications by CV. To be considered for this role please apply via the button at the bottom of this page.
- The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 15th December 2019. Interviews will be held at our Oxford office.
For further details about the role please see the job description. If you have any questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the People Resourcing Team on 01865 794749.
Helen & Douglas House is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
About Helen & Douglas House
Helen & Douglas House, based in Oxford, is the world’s first children’s hospice. We care for terminally ill babies, children, and their families at our hospice and at home. It is a special place that feels like home, where families can make the most of their time together and create happy memories during their children’s short lives. As a charity, we rely almost entirely on voluntary donations to support our work.