Helen & Douglas House is looking for an experienced Cook/Catering Assistant with a passion for cooking and a desire to provide wholesome food in a clinical hospice setting. This post requires excellent interpersonal skills as food is at the heart of the culture of the Hospice.
Cook/Kitchen Assistant, part-time
Job Type: Permanent, full-time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Band 2 (£17,652 – £19,020), depending on experience plus shift enhancements on weekends
Location: Helen & Douglas House, Oxford
View the full job description
To our patients and our families, the catering at Helen & Douglas House reminds them of home, a hearty dinner re-fuels and uplifts, even in the toughest of times. Our children love to bake biscuits and see the wonderfully decorated cake creations that our kitchen team produce.
Joining the Helen & Douglas House catering team is not like any other kitchen job. It really is making a difference to the lives of terminally ill children and their families every day.
Who we are looking for:
- Holding or willing to take Basic Food Hygiene Certificate Level 2.
- Experience of working in a food service delivery environment.
- Experience of interacting with a range of people and courteously managing their expectations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Health and Safety responsibilities.
- Able to cope with periods of regular pressure (particularly in terms of time.
Shift pattern (example):
Friday: 12pm – 6:30pm with 30min break
Saturday: 9am – 6:00pm with 30min break
Sunday: 9am – 1:00pm
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays – pro rata (rising to 28 days after 3 years and 29 days after 5 years).
- We are a direction agency for the NHS Pension Scheme. Membership to the NHS pension scheme is available to employees who have contributed to the NHS pension scheme in the previous 12 months.
- Eyecare voucher scheme.
- Childcare voucher scheme.
- Cycle scheme.
- Occupational sick pay and maternity pay.
- A flexible working environment.
- Subsidised staff dining facilities.
If you are interested in applying, please complete the application form via the button below. Unfortunately, we cannot accept any CV’s by email or via other websites/Job boards.
For further details, please see the job description and if you have any questions about the role please e-mail email@example.com or call the People Resourcing Team on 01865 794749. If you would like to have an informal chat about the role or a tour of the hospice, please do call and we can arrange you to meet with the Helen & Douglas House team.
Staff working for Helen & Douglas House are required to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service check. Helen & Douglas House is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
About Helen & Douglas House
Helen & Douglas House, based in Oxford, was set up in 1982 as the world’s first children’s hospice. We care for terminally ill babies, children and their families at our hospice and at home. It is a special place that feels like home, where families can make the most of their time together and create happy memories during their children’s short lives. As a charity, we rely almost entirely on voluntary donations to support our work.