Caring for local children and their families
At Helen & Douglas House we support the entire family. A family that is referred to us can expect to receive the aspects of our care that is right for them. This includes:
- 24/7 telephone support- our care team are here to discuss any of your concerns about your child’s health (for all Coronavirus (COVID-19) queries please go to NHS 111).
- Access to telephone advice from the medical team.
- Admission for complex symptom management.
- Emergency end of life care.
- Supportive stays offered in an equitable way when available, to give families a break, review a patient’s care and make memories.
- Care and support at the time of a child’s death, including being able to use our Little room and being a resident at the hospice.
- Family support team telephone contact.
- Medically supported outreach nursing visits for symptom management.
- Longer-term bereavement support.
Who can be referred to Helen & Douglas House?
The babies and children referred to Helen & Douglas House will have a condition or a disability that is deemed to be life-limiting or life-shortening.
Who can make a referral to Helen & Douglas House?
Referrals to Helen & Douglas House can be made directly from families or their relatives, from consultants, general practitioners, hospital and community nurses, other health and social care professionals, schools, workers in the voluntary sector, and any other source. The family is always approached before the referral is processed. You can download and fill in a referral form below.
All support offered by Helen & Douglas House is reviewed annually, so we can continue to offer the most appropriate care and ensure our resources are used fairly and in line with the needs of all the patients and families using our service.
Patient information leaflets
Take a look inside Helen & Douglas House and meet some of the team
Watch our video to take a look inside the hospice and learn more about how we care for and support children and their families.